The Supermarket is a sustainable food cooperative that responds to the needs of the local community and provides healthy, local food at reasonable prices. To this end, we believe in a series of key values, which guide our philosophy and management approach. We seek:
● To create a supermarket that meets the needs of its members and the local community by offering high quality, healthy food at reasonable prices.
● To buy from trusted suppliers with whom we develop mutually sustaining relationships.
● To buy British produce where possible, and produce local to London.
● Provide choice and information to our members to help them make healthy decisions.
● To create a community supermarket that highlights the possibilities of consumer power and challenges the status quo.
● To minimise wastage, by creating prepared dishes from food coming up to its sell-by date, and by composting all other waste material.
● To provide inspirational training and life skill opportunities to the local community
● To create a working environment that values every one’s contribution, is welcoming, safe and non-judgmental
● To be a training and development resource for our community.
● To buy sustainable energy and other inputs, and to promote alternative, forward thinking ideas and solutions.
● The Observer Ethical Awards 2011 — Best Local Retailer
● Smart Future Minds Award 2011 — Overall Winner
● Co-operative Excellence Awards 2011 — Best New Co-operative Enterprise
● The 2011 Peer Awards — Corporate Responsibility
● Rosenblatt New Energy Awards 2011 — Lifetime Achievement Award (Arthur Potts Dawson)
● UnderConsideration Brand New Awards 2011 — Comprehensive Identity Programme
● D&AD Professional Awards 2011 — Branding Schemes/Medium Business
● FastCo Design 10 Best Rebrandings of 2010 — Best Rebrand
● National Reality TV Awards 2011 — Best Business Show, Most Inspiring TV Show, Best Docusoap and Best Social Experiment